|Before shear batten was adjusted.|
That all changed yesterday when the garboard planks were lain on the moulds for a test fit. I am pleased with the result and the technique. Those steps are as follows:
- 2 sheets of the 6mm okoume ply were ripped down the length to 12" wide panels. The finished plank was almost 10" at its widest and this width worked (by happenstance?).
- These were stacked and tapered to a 8:1 scarf for joining.
|Scarfing of 2 stern ends. Previously had done 4 for middle joints.|
- With wax paper on my Black & Decker Workmate, the panels were joined. "Wet" epoxy on the scarfs were followed by thickened epoxy.
- I used a small nail through the panels to prevent epoxy slide in the joint. Small wedges under the clamped joint batten help snug it all down uniformly.
- 24 hrs later one panel was ready. A heat gun and scraper readily removed the excess. (Thanks Ross Lillistone).
|Stacked planks with tracings from the spiling truss.|
- Since I let the bow end run wild for final shaping, I was not convinced I had enough panel once joined so I added 8" from what was to be cut off at the stern end.
- The trussed batten ladder from the moulds worked like a charm. The finer ends do need extra cross pieces to hold the joined battens in place.
I regret I didn't take more photos, but I was wrapped up in the process. I'll take more detail pics in subsequent planks. Here are the planks resting on the moulds.
|Garboard planks resting.|
|Planks landed on their marks.|
|Some slight trimming of a couple moulds will be required.|
At this point we have 105 hrs in the build. Most Americans have probably 4 times that in television viewing over the same period, but that is a sad discussion I'll save for another day. Later-