Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Moment With "Time"

In my opinion, Thomas Gillmer designed perhaps one of the top 10 all-time classic sailboats in his 23' Blue Moon. While noted for other beauties like his topsail clipper schooner, "Pride of Baltimore I and II", this little 1943 gaffed yawl is a real looker. One owner, John, has a blog featuring the sailing and projects for his yawl. Another owner, Mark, has a beautiful example named "Time". Some photos are here from a previous listing.

"Time"

Before my classic Luna, I was mightily tempted by the lovely Time. I found she was again for sale in WoodenBoat for sale. After an earlier visit to Oxford before launching, I called Mark and arranged to help rig her in exchange for a sail. The day was sunny, but winds were less than 5 mph and I confess I was skeptical Time would move along, but move she did. With hardly a breath she pushed under full sail effortlessly and her 8,000 pounds gave momentum to her way. Thought I'd share 2 videos of our sail.

Starboard tack ...

Port tack ...


I believe she is still available to the right owner. Too bad we can't have them all. Time is an original.

No comments:

Post a Comment