What I did accomplish:
- Keelson shaping-
- with "witness" saw cuts every 1.5" a chisel readily removed a majority of the wood. The handplane got closer and will be fine tuned prior to setting the garboard planks.
- New battens-
- the previous set were so fraught with breaks and twists that they had to go.
- new strong yellow pine battens were scarfed and placed on the forms. YP was from the kayak build. Save those scraps. They will be useful somewhere.
- some tweaking of the battens has been made over 2 days as different views seem to reveal slight "hard" spots in the curves. No dramatic changes, but 1/8" movements here and there.
- Garboard plank template-
- I will use the "ladder" technique to form a template from the battens.
- a batten will have to be placed on the previous plank to make the successive template. We'll see how that goes.
- Cut birdsmouth staves for main mast-
- all 8 came from a 5/4x6x18' plank cut into 4 pieces which were then split vertically.
- using a jack plane the staves were tapered. Hand planing smoothed the final result.
|Familiar set up. See kayak build.|
|Multiple finger boards for ripping with kerf blade.|
|Planing taper to ganged staves.|
All tolled I've probably 12 hours of work over the past 3 days.
I forgot to mention I had built a 3/4" scale balsa model of the boat to study a few details like a simple awning/tent and to generally familiarize myself with the build.
|Awning study. Looking for a simple tent design with low windage.|